During the holidays $511 million dollars was donated online on Giving Tuesday. That marks an increase of 28% from 2018. While the total number of charitable donations have yet to be tallied for the entirety of 2019, estimates hover around $430 billion. Given that, what cities and states are giving the most money online and volunteering the most time to charities? WalletHub dug into the statistics and discovered the most charitable states and drilled down to the most caring cities.
Most and Least Charitable States
|1. Minnesota||11. New Hampshire|
|2. Utah||12. Alaska|
|3. Maryland||13. Georgia|
|4. Oregon||14. Colorado|
|5. Ohio||15. Arkansas|
|6. Pennsylvania||16. North Carolina|
|7. North Dakota||17. Wisconsin|
|8. Virginia||18. Wyoming|
|9. Washington||19. New York|
|10. Maine||20. Illinois|
The data set ranges from volunteer rate to share of income donated to share of sheltered homeless.
- The charities with the highest ratings from WalletHub include Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, PetSmart Charities and Fisher House Foundation.
- Vermont has the most charities per capita, 27.06, which is 4.7 times more than in Nevada, the state with the fewest at 5.76.
- Utah has the highest volunteer rate, 51.00 percent, which is 2.2 times higher than in Florida, the state with the lowest at 22.80 percent.
- Utah has the most volunteer hours per capita, 57.48, which is 3.3 times more than in Mississippi, the state with the fewest at 17.23.
Most Caring Cities
|1. Virginia Beach, VA||11. Aurora, CO|
|2. Madison, WI||12. New York, NY|
|3. Pittsburgh, PA||13. Denver, CO|
|4. Lincoln, NE||14. Plano, TX|
|5. Minneapolis, MN||15. Gilbert, AZ|
|6. St. Paul, MN||16. Jersey City, NJ|
|7. Fremont, CA||17. Irvine, CA|
|8. Chesapeake, VA||18. Washington, DC|
|9. Boston, MA||19. Seattle, WA|
|10. Scottsdale, AZ||20. Omaha, NE|
- Memphis, Tennessee, has the highest share of income donated to charity, 5.60 percent, which is 2.4 times higher than in Buffalo, New York, the city with the lowest at 2.30 percent.
- Baltimore has the most volunteer hours per capita, 56.28, which is 5.4 times more than in Jacksonville, Florida, the city with the fewest at 10.47.
- Jacksonville, Florida, has the highest share of residents who do favors for their neighbors, 68.70 percent, which is 1.8 times higher than in Orlando, Florida, the cities with the lowest at 38.30 percent.
- Buffalo, New York, has the highest share of sheltered homeless persons, 98.43 percent, which is 4.6 times higher than in Fresno, California, the city with the lowest at 21.60 percent.
- Fremont, California, has the lowest child-poverty rate, 4.58 percent, which is 11 times lower than in Cleveland, the city with the highest at 50.53 percent.